The History of Eastern and Southeastern Europe is one of the main subjects treated by the Department of Balkan, Slavic and Oriental Studies. Issues of the progressive nationalization and the establishment of nation-states in the region, the conflicts related with the collapse of the state socialist regimessince 1989, the economic, cultural and social diversity of the area, they created the conditions for a production of historiographical discourses corresponding to different perceptions of the historical past, directly related with the new political, economic and social conditions.
Alongside to the traditional historiographical topics (national and social formation, history of ideas, modernization-westernization) new ones are added (minority issues, gender identities, civil conflicts, relations of religion and politics, the shaping of the public sphere, etc.).It is therefore necessary under the light of the latest trends of contemporary historiography (Political History, Economic and Social History, Cultural History, Intellectual History and Oral History) and the corresponding methodological directions to coordinate research programs, to undertake research scientific knowledge’s diffusion to wider audiences, to exploit a wider scientific work force, not exclusively of historians, but also from the other scientific fields of the Humanities, for understanding, interpreting and evaluating these dynamic developments that change our relationship with the historical past itself and redefine it.
The above topics, as research fields and open questions, legitimized the establishment of the “History of Eastern and Southeastern Europe Laboratory” belonging to the Department of Balkan Slavic and Eastern Studies of the School of Economics and Regional Studies, University of Macedonia.
Laboratory Basic Aims
The objectives of the “Eastern and SouthEastern European History Laboratory” include the following:
- Promoting scientific research and highlighting modern theoretical and methodological trends, which can contribute to the development of new fields of knowledge, theoretical approaches and effective methodological tools in the field of Eastern and Southeastern European History.
- Mapping and systematizing the scientific work carried out by universities, academia and other institutions in Greece and abroad, focusing on Eastern and Southeastern European History.
- Publications through the organization of academic activities, scientific workshops, lectures, seminars, symposia, conferences and other scientific events
- Dissemination of knowledge through the publication of collective volumes, monographs, scientific articles, scientific journals and journals and any form of paper or electronic publication of scientific opinions and research findings.
- Enhancing cooperation with universities, academic and research centers, institutions of the country and abroad with related scientific objects and objectives aiming at undertaking joint research activities and creating conditions for an interdisciplinary scholarly dialogue
- Extrovert actions and synergy with public sector institutions, local authorities, domestic and foreign scientific, social and professional, associations, as well as international organizations or organizations jointly exploring similar scientific fields with the Laboratory.
- Utilizing know-how to attract research funds from national and international resources on the scientific fields of activity of the Laboratory or scientific fields of specialization of its members.